The Bay Area Story …
TNF’s presence in the San Francisco Bay area is closely associated with its contributions to the Tamil and Tamil community in the area and dates back to the 1980s. TNF started raising funds through cultural programs in the San Jose area since 1998, under the leadership of Dr. Ramamurthy.
TNF was the first Tamil organization involved in establishing Tamil schools in the Bay area. The first Tamil schools in the area were started in 1997 in Cupertino and Fremont and named as TNF Tamil Schools. This was a significant step towards the success of teaching the Tamil language to young children with parent volunteers support. The schools subsequently evolved under the California Tamil Academy (CTA). CTA now has 6 schools in the Bay Area and 21 affiliated schools throughout the U.S with 2500+ children benefiting from Bay Area alone. TNF also played a key role in raising funds for the Tamil Chair at University of California, Berkeley.
The Bay Area (San Francisco) chapter was revived in 2017. The chapter has adopted Chennai District and started the ABC Initiative in the following schools in 2019.
- Greater Chennai Higher Secondary School, Shenoy Nagar, Chennai
- Government Boys Higher Secondary School, Mogappair, Chennai.
Eight students from the Bay Area have attended the TNF Summer Internship Program in teh last three years.
Projects by Bay Area Interns:
- 2017 – $10,000.00 raised for Amaravathipudur Gurukulam in Karaikudi by Vishal Narayan .
- 2019 – $2500.00 donated for the Bay Area adopted ABC Schools in Chennai by Pranav . Senthilkumar
- 2019 – $1500 donated for the Bay Area adopted ABC Schools in Chennai by Samyuktha Natesan